Tuesday 9 April 2013

2d Inquiry Task



What in your daily practice gets you really enthusiastic to find out more about? Who do you admire who also works with what makes you enthusiastic?

I am really enthusiastic to find out more about how people define good acting and how we create truth in performances. I think for me when I really believe a performance that's when I think the actor is talented. You have to feel relaxed in allowing them to take you on a journey and for me if there is no truth I cannot fully relax, I'm aware of watching a 'performance' Instead of someone just being. I've studied  technique during my training which I found a very effective method in creating a internal life for your character. It works by removing the focus from yourself and placing it all on the other person or persons in the scene. By doing this you are able to respond/react totally truthfully in the moment as you aren't caught up in your own head but have given yourself over entirely to the given circumstances of the piece. I really feel it is only then the 'truth' can reveal itself and interesting stuff starts to happen.

The person who introduced me to this way of acting was a teacher I had called Adam . He is a very inspirational man and performer. He has his own theatre company called 'The Sticking Place' who focus mainly on improvisation. I watched them perform in Edinburgh a few summer's ago and they improvised an entire musical off the back of a fake review. He allowed me to find different ways in which to approach my work and is hugely knowledgeable of his practice.


What makes you angry or makes you sad? Who do you admire who shares your feelings or has found away to work around the anger or sadness?

In relation to my work I feel angry and sad about how corrupt and elitist it can be. Its a very fickle world at times and more often than not people are judged purely on the way they look or who they no rather than their ability's. Sadly I don't think the same opportunity's are available to everyone and so much of the good we do as performers is outweighed by the pretentious inflexible views of those in control. 
This leads on nicely to the world around me which can be a cruel place. As individuals we are able to, and should look for our own truth, but a lot of us are to lazy and let the media feed us what they believe is news worthy. The two tie together nicely as our obsession with fame and famous people can often distract us from the harsh truth of what's going on out there. I'm not judging people who are I interested in celebrity, I get sucked into it also. It provides escapism from our own life's and can be aspirational for some. I find it frustrating when 'celebs' are cast in roles just because of there status when there are far more talented 'no bodies' who could do a better job. But unfortunately people are greedy and a 'name' will bring in more money. 

My boyfriend  has influenced my views and helped me understand the value of what I do. We share a frustration of our surroundings and he has encouraged me to look beyond what's right in front of me and look a little deeper into things, not to just accept what I'm being told.
We are both working in education now and this is a valuable opportunity to give something back and help shape the future. Working with children is so worth while and helps you see good in the world. I think the creative industry can be a dark place at times and its easy to get wrapped up in things that don't really matter. What I do now keeps me grounded and helps me realise what's actually important.

What do you love about what you do? Who do you admire who seems also to love this or is an example of what you love?

I love the freedom you have to express yourself as an artist, you can be silly, you can be serious it doesn't matter. Its scary at times and you have to open yourself up to being vulnerable.But I think its good to do stuff that scares you, it keeps you alive. Ultimately acting is just playing and who doesn't like to play?! Your able to put yourself in different situations, different times. I love the joy it brings people. I love watching my students progress and grow in confidence.

My friend Simon  is an actor. His journey has been very different to mine and he has worked continuously since leaving drama school. I'd say he is an example of what I love about being an artist as he is such a free spirit and so intelligent with it. He isn't restricted by boundaries of fear or confidence, he truly lives it. I wish I was more like him in away. He has had a much easier ride in the industry than I have and maybe it's his lack of bitterness which allows him not to hold back and just totally be himself or maybe it's because of this he is so successful. But when I think about the freedom to be creative I think of him.


What do you feel you don't understand? Who do you admire who does seem to understand it or who has found a way of making not understanding it interesting or beautiful, or has asked you the same question?

After my year travelling I began to ask many questions about the world a round me. There is so much I don't understand that I probably never will.I certainly feel travelling broadens the mind and I'm not sure I've been them same since my return. Relating this to my practice I struggle to understand how we measure success. We seem so obsessed as a nation with image and I think success comes under that umbrella. How many times have you bumped into someone you used to know and one of the first things they ask is 'What do you do?' Almost as if this is a judgement of how well your doing or more importantly who you are. 
I haven't been involved an professional acting work for a long time. I wasn't getting the breaks and was fed up of working for free on students films (there's only so many you can do) so I decided to try and make my own work.I started writing scripts, go to acting workshops regularly and am always at the theatre. I still consider myself as an artist but I teach drama, waitress a little and work with children special needs. To me, I feel unsuccessful in my desired career which is why now I am doing this course in order to better myself. However does being a successful artist mean you need to have 3 Oscars and a glittering film career? I can't say I'd turn it down but would I be content with that or would I still want more. Surely to be happy is to be successful? 

Whilst I was in Bali I met a very spiritual man named . He was always smiling, loved his family and repeated one phrase to me continuously 'Enjoy the life'. I consider him the most successful person I no.

No comments:

Post a Comment