Saturday 13 April 2013

Task 3a Current Networks

What are the current and different ways you have or do engage with your professional network?


What are the established (and different) ways that others use their networks, especially if they are more established or experienced practitioners that you admire?


A lot of professional actors have there own websites to showcase themselves. These might include showreel footage, a gallery of professional photos, imdb links, reviews etc. Depending on who your being represented by, you may also have your own page on your agents websites. Which allows you to be actively seen by someone else's network of professionals.
I suppose the more established you are the less you have to do with regards to developing your network. Mainly because you have agents and mangers to do that for you and a successful reputation to fall back on. However ambitious individuals who want to make it across the pond for example would still have to put themselves out and network. And actually the more career driven you are in this industry the more successful you will become.
I believe the more established individual would rely mainly on, what I consider to be the most effective method of networking which is in person. This could be by inviting people to see your work or quite commonly at industry party's. I do find these situations rather uncomfortable as they can open the door to a lot of false behavior and sucking up. However if you can do that I believe it's a great skill to have as a performer, it gets your face out there. In any field of employment I'm sure it's benifitical to build contacts with people who could help you or who you to help.


Are there methods, approaches and technologies that you use socially that might apply and help you develop your professional networking?


I have recently deleted my Facebook account for personal reasons but do question how good a move that was as more and more production company's are using sites such as Facebook to post castings and network with actors. The thing is I often find those particular means of networking 'unprofessional'. I understand the desire and frustrations of 'getting noticed' by the right people. However more often than not many of the company's that use such public means of advertising job roles are not the right people. Unfortunately the industry elite are a very small close knit group of individuals, and I'm not saying that I wouldn't like things to change but at the moment the people at the top of the chain don't need to use these forms of social media. In such an over-saturated industry they can have there pick.
I do think there are certain approaches that would ultimately benefit my own career and allow me to develop and gain more confidence. The approach I take to life generally is very on the ball. I'm extremely motivated but I do feel maybe I have become quite jaded over the years and I no there's a lot more I could being doing with regards to my acting.

 
When you reflect upon current networks, can you think about the motives of others to be in the network and what values and purpose they have in mind? 




I've read this question a few times and am struggling to come to terms of what it's actually asking. So based purely on speculation I will try and make some sense of it.
Family speak for themselves I believe, we have to like each other!! 
I guess with my friends they value my loyalty. We have common interests such as fashion and music. 
With regards to my acting friends and tutors we obviously have the mutual appreciation of the arts. We are also able to help each other out by closing the gap between each others connections. 


What would your ideal network look like and why?


Ideally my professional network would look a lot fuller! My employers would merge completely with the industry professionals, and I'd also hope to add to this and network of artistic directors, production company's and film crews.
My hope is to start making my own work which would be responsible for a growth in my contacts.
I'd like to have a lot more face to face communication with my professional network as I find this generally leads to creative discussion and opens the door to other opportunities and ideas. Emails etc are quick and efficient but are quite impersonal so tend not to allow much growth.


What realistic things could you do to your work towards developing your ideal network?


I could start to put ideas into practice. I need to finish writing scripts, get a showreel made, get a website up and running, write to people and ideally be in a play that I can invite people to. I no there is a lot more I could be doing at this point in time. It's really a case of prioritising so I don't get overwhelmed and start to make things happen.


What tools and methods do you need to use? What do you know about your current and intended networks and importantly what do you not know?


Time and money (investments) are sadly the things that I'm lacking that would genuinely make a difference.
What I know.... I know that people are very busy and developments in the industry are rapid. You need to stay on your toes. In the 7 years since I've graduated so much has changed. Much of this is to do with technology. It's quite frightening how much progress the 'online' world has made. It has changed the way we audition, the way we train and most prominently the way we communicate. I have to say I am a bit old fashioned in the respect I much prefer to talk to someone than send a message but I do see benefits in both. I think it is important to stay relevant. If you want to stay fresh in someone's mind then you need to be constantly active within your network.
What I don't know... I don't know how a lot of technologies work. For example I have a friend who is able to update her own showreel using a Mac program. That would be hugely beneficial to me. As I mentioned above I feel lack of money has huge restraints on what I'm able to achieve and the ability to edit my own work would save me from paying others to do it. 
I don't feel I no what the industry professionals are looking for anymore. You hear such contradicting information from people I find it difficult to judge. There are lots of casting workshops advertised now in which you pay to do a dummy audition/workshop day with a well known casting director. From the point of view if the actor it's a chance to get seen by someone who could potentially give you work. I used to go to loads as I thought it was a fantastic idea. But as time went on I began to become quite skeptical about the whole thing. Casting directors are just people who need to make a living. Like actors they are self-employed and if they can make £500 for a 5 hour session then why wouldn't they. I literally don't no anymore that has been 'spotted' via one of these classes, and yes I understand stand its still a good way to make 'connections' but part of me feels like its taking advantage of actors who are willing to do anything to get noticed, and actually that's casting director would go straight to there own network of agents and managers if they had work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment