Monday 22 April 2013

Task 3B Theories relating to networking

Cooperation


co·op·er·a·tion

noun
1.
an act or instance of working or acting together for a common purpose or benefit; joint action.
2.
more or less active assistance from a person, organizationetc.: We sought the cooperation of variouscivic leaders.
3.
willingness to cooperateto indicate cooperation.
4.
Economics the combination of persons for purposes of production, purchase, or distribution for theirjoint benefit: producers' cooperation; consumers' cooperation.
5.
Sociology activity shared for mutual benefit.

I found this concept challenged my perception of cooperation. If you look at the definitions I have pasted above, there is a reoccurring theme of togetherness and mutual gain. The word 'co' in my opinion signifies partnership and links between people, places and things. The idea of succeeding at someone else's expense hadn't even crossed my mind and I'm not sure if I agree that this is then a successful tool in networking if ultimately it leads to taking advantage of others?!

I tried to make connections between my work and the concept and found many scenarios which I feel I have been 'screwed over' but that's the same of many industry's and I'm not sure if these examples really follow the same pattern. There maybe similarities in the sense of the audition process for example, but even with this example I'm not sure I fully see the connection. The way I understood the reader, it painted a picture of almost using other people until you don't need them anymore and then dropping them when when you have achieved what you set out to achieve. I certainly don't agree with this practise but maybe nobody behaves this way knowingly. As I went on to read the Robert Axelrod extract something really resonated with me. When should you be cooperative and when should you be selfish. Unfortunately as human beings part of our make up is to be selfish and although I don't consider myself a selfish person at all I'm sure there have been occasions in my life where I have been. The expression 'dog eat dog' rings a bell at this point and maybe if I had behaved more ruthlessly in my career I would be more successful  but I'm not sure I'd like myself very much for it. This lead me to consider another saying I've heard time again 'Be careful how you treat people on the way up - you'll meet them again on your way down' . The thing is, if both parties are aware of this concept, why does it have to be a bad thing? and does it always have to end with someone being hurt? Can't you just work mutually with someone until you both have what you want out of the situation and then defect? Does someone always have to lose?
 The example Axelrod gives of a friend you continuously do favours for who never reciprocates triggered my thinking further and I realised that being to cooperative/passive can then give others the opportunity to take advantage of you and without realising it your the one allowing it to happen. 

So all in all I'm in two minds about this concept but certainly have a much greater awareness and rightly or wrongly, suspicion of  motives now.  

Affiliation

I was having a conversation with a friend last night regarding this topic. They were telling me that an old friend of there's who's an actress (talented and successful in her own right but not 'well known') we're call her  girl A. Anyway girl A is very good friends with an extremely famous influential actress (girl B) and often uses this friendship in strange ways. For example if both girls are meeting friends for drinks, girl A wont arrive until girl B is there so they can walk in together, but more importantly so people can see them walking in together. Now I find this behaviour quite false but I certainly understand the reasons behind it.
Not all means of affiliation have to be so obvious. As the reader implies, I see affiliation as an extension of friendships. The people you chose to have relationships with are surely the people you wish to be affiliated with. The relationships may not have to extend to something as strong as friendship but certainly a mutual respect and understanding in my opinion. I would say I tend to lean more towards the private side, I have a group of very close friends rather than several acquaintances like I have done in my past. A major part of this is that I just don't have the time to nurture loads of relationships anymore.I have defiantly noticed more recently how much emphasis is placed on networks now and how beneficial it can be, in terms of work and socially. As someone who is returning to the industry I'm certainly hoping to rebuild connections and make new contacts in order to get my face out there again, and I'm very excited to do so as I love meeting new people. I'm not against networking at all and certainly think it has many values, but over the years I have seen so many young actresses throwing themselves at pervy old casting directors and shagging there way to the top it has left a bitter taste in my mouth. Unfortunately there are lots of people ready to take advantage of  there situation. I feel that talent should speak for itself and we shouldn't have to go against our own morals to achieve success. The rise in social media has created new levels of sharing and connection which is great on one hand but what does it all mean? Do these relationships have any substance?

Social Constructionism


Social constructionism has a lot to offer I believe. In the last 10 years we have seen incredible developments in the way we communicate and network. Going by the idea that how we interact allows us to 'construct meanings of the world' this concept is hugely relevant to our time. We are able to share practise now on such a vast scale, through various means of social media. The amount of information available is never ending and anything you want to no the answer to your be able to find it. Who did we ask these questions to before?  Its evident in my mind that we have become more open minded in our views and awareness.We are able to connect with people from different country's,cultures and religions. Our beliefs are being challenged and we are able to make more informed decisions based on a variety of sources  rather than just being influence by what we are fed by ruling bodies.


Our planet is certainly changing and these changes have allowed fantastic developments in the arts. Stories are being shared worldwide and news is spreading faster than ever.

If I wanted to collaborate with a director in South America it wouldn't be impossible, you can even audition via Skype now.

The world is becoming a smaller place and its exciting but also quite scary. Everything is moving incredibly quickly its hard to keep up. Future generations will never no a world without facebook and will have there entire lives documented. My main fear is that through this we lose the ability to communicate on a basic humanistic level. There is a lot to be said for the convenience of a text message, but it's just that... text. People can chose to interpret that text in which every way they please but you cant beat a good old fashion face to face conversation. I like to listen to people speak passionately about things, I find human beings far more interesting to look at than a computer screen.

Its important for us to be curious and have opinions on things and its equally as desirable to feel like your not alone in your views and actually contribute ideas that help others find meaning. We all like to analyse why things are the way they are. I would never pretend to know the answers but its nice to ask the questions. 

Connectivism


This concept leads on nicely from the previous discussion above. Connectivism suggests the way we learn has been hugely influenced by the spread of the Internet. We are slowly moving away from the more traditional teacher to student transfer of information and are now able to collaborate and learn through a variety of networks.

I personally believe that there is value in ALL methods of learning, and actually opening our minds to different styles and approaches will surely help us become more rounded individuals.
There is no harm, in my opinion, in following up teacher lead study with your own person research, if fact I should imagine in most fields its encouraged.
There have been times during this course that I have struggled, and unlike the ROL module, where my academic adviser would have been present to past on knowledge and encouragement, I have looked to my  current professional network (The BAPP blogs) for support and ideas.
Connectivism doesn't refer only use of the Internet. I take an acting class every Thursday night. The teacher maybe my primary source of knowledge but as a network, myself and the other participants constantly share ideas and discuss practise. We are all out there doing it now. We have just as much right and intelligence to pass on our 'wisdom' and experience as someone qualified to do so. It may not be appropriate for doctors for example but as artists I think its important we communicate via a range of mediums. As it states in the reader 'Informal learning is a significant part of our learning experience'.
What is more important, how we learn? Or what we learn? Again I feel this course is a good example of how I have achieved both in recent months. I set up my blog in order to learn but by doing so how I learn was challenged. I used different websites and played with computer programs I'd never heard of,I had no teacher in front if me telling me what to do. My way of thinking or way of learning was more independent and through this I found confidence I areas I hadn't been confident in before. I'm not sure if there is scientific knowledge as to what is thee most effective way to learn. I  believe its specific to each individual. Connectivism as a concept is just a natural progression in the world we live.

Communites of Practice


When I think about community I feel safe and supported. Therefore having a community of people available to you to share practise with, I see this as only a positive thing. Referring to our course again, I'm not sure I would be able to find the energy sometimes to keep us with the work load whilst juggling a full time job, but I get strength from the other students who are experiencing the same struggles.

I have different communities for different strands of my life but they all involve a certain amount of networking. My friendship group for example, wouldn't be able to share my fears about auditions but they can relate to other things I'm going through and visa versa. If you have a social interest in a topic, it is only natural you would like to share your views with others who are also interested in that topic.
Once you are out of your training (e.g. drama school) You need to make more of an effort to develop your communities. I have a range of 'acting friends' some are actors, some directors, script writers and teachers all at varying levels of success but with out any type of hierarchy. At as network these people allowed me to develop my craft and look at situations from alternative points of view. I learn from them all the time, even if its not a 'formal' style of learning.

My brain is burning and I'm extremely aware another 12 hour working day is on the horizon.

Night all :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment