Sunday 28 April 2013

Task 3C Sources of Information


Before I started this task I read some of the other students blogs, as I do before all tasks to give me some perspective. However with this task I found there to be an air of confusion surrounding what the task is actually asking of us.  For example some people have made reference to their phones and devices i.e. email and SMS, which in my mind is a communication tool. Through these tools we are able to connect to our, friends, agents the internet etc who then provide us with SOURCES OF  INFORMATION. So with that in mind, surely it's those networks of people that are our sources not the devices or apps we go through to speak with them??  I decided to research (via the internet) into how we define sources of information, and as I remember from GCSE history there are varying degrees, eg: Primary and secondary. This research also suggested things I hadn't thought of such as academic journals (like what we are writing) pictures, maps, data bases and documentaries. Not all of them resonated with me but it was good to get a more rounded perspective. 

After reflecting on the ways that I learn, obtain, retain and source information I have decided for me THEE most important source for me  is MY PROFESSIONAL NETWORK

If I think about my day to day practice it comes into play time and again. Within my professional network are...
Colleagues: When I am struggling finding resources, want an objective point of view on a lesson plan, need support in methods of delivering a lesson, this is my first point of call. I've mentioned before about sharing practice, and to me this is the most organic way to do so.
Friends: This refers mainly to friends working within the same profession. As above this is a great source to share practice but also less formal discussions can often lead to exciting developments for both parties and opportunities to collaborate. 
BAPP Students: As I said, I use the blogs as a point of reference to source information for my degree work. 

WORKSHOPS AND CLASSES this links with above by enabling me to expand my professional network by meeting and collaborating with new people. Participating in classes allows me to explore different approaches and techniques in a safe environment, where I can receive feedback from other professionals. It also gives me the opportunity to work with new texts and discuss developments in the industry.

Having a profile on  SOCIAL NETWORKING sites such as twitter enables me to find information about upcoming productions and events. I follow lots of playwright's, production company's and theatre company's which often use twitter as a way of advertising auditions and other collaboration opportunities. It also allows other professionals to find and 'follow me' . I agree with Iona Holland though about being careful HOW you use your profile, sometimes it can be to your detriment if you have a wild social life that's not to everyone's taste it may put people off working with you. In situations like this it's probably better to have a separate profile for work and play.

THE INTERNET is probably the quickest way to source information. Particular websites I use such as www.castingcallpro.com allow me to access castings, and join forums. Another site I use a lot is called www.ideastap.com. This arts based website has articles and features, advertisements for courses and shows as well as job opportunities. It focuses on a variety of creative industry's which means I get to learn about other people's practice as well as receive unbiased information. I use the internet often when looking for teaching resources particularly new drama games and starter activities. 
As Michael Schiffer mentioned on his blog though there is danger of drifting off task when you have so much information available to you. The Internet as isn't always 100% accurate, sights like Wikipedia are renowned for having unreliable information so it's important to chose wisely.

Other sources of I use are MEDIA such as newspapers, television program's and films. TV and FILM keep me up to date with who is casting what, what production companies are producing the sort of shows I like etc with this information I am then able to research further into said producers work (using sights like www.imdb.com) and approach them. I tend to use newspapers to read theatre  reviews and to find out what's on and where.
Certain BOOKS that I also find useful are directories such as contacts and an actors guide as they house contact details for every industry professional you could hope for as well as text books such as 'Shakespeare's words' glossary by Ben and David Crystal when approaching classical text. 

No comments:

Post a Comment